The general scope of the proposed research is to evaluate the feasibility of small-scale DSM employing high resolution DEM, multispectral satellite and legacy soil data. Thus, the principal aim concentrates on how to develop a small scale DSM strategies in the examples of test sites in Azerbaijan where no DSM strategies have developed up to-date.
The test sites are located in the western mountainous region of Azerbaijan, which are representatives of the Caucasus Mountain being highly appropriated for agricultural use and susceptible to soil erosion and is in need of spatial high-resolution soil maps providing a good base for decision-making.
- An establishment of small-scale digital soil mapping strategies in Azerbaijan as well as key issues on country scale digital soil mapping.
- A feasibility determination of high-resolution multispectral satellite data for small-scale digital soil mapping purposes particularly in mountainous region.
- An examining of high-resolution digital elevation model plausibility, feature selection and scale issues in small-scale digital soil mapping.
- Determining availability of legacy soil map for digital soil mapping purpose.
- Progress toward prospective cooperative research projects on digital soil mapping using remotely sensed data in Azerbaijan.